If you're still looking for a special Christmas treat to make on Christmas day for your family or for Santa, try this gingerbread recipe. It produces a very moist and very spicy gingerbread that goes very well with a glass of eggnog.
Adapted from King Arthur Flour
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 1/2 tsp ground ginger
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp cloves
- 1/4 tsp nutmeg
- 1 stick butter, melted
- 3/4 cup black strap molasses
- 1/4 cup water
- 1 egg
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1/2 cup crystallized ginger, diced
- whipped cream, for serving
- Preheat oven to 350F
- Grease and flour a 9-inch square baking pan.
- Combine dry ingredients (except for the crystallized ginger) in a large bowl and mix well with a spoon.
- In a small bowl, mix together the butter and molasses. Add this mixture to the dry ingredients and stir until just moistened.
- Add the water to the batter and stir until the water is absorbed.
- In a small bowl, whisk the egg with the buttermilk. Add this mixture to the rest of the batter.
- Stir the crystallized ginger into the batter.
- Pour the batter into the pan and bake until a toothpick inserted into the middle comes out clean, about 35 minutes.
- Cool the gingerbread on a cooling rack for at least 15 minutes. Serve with whipped cream.