You still have time to finish your Thanksgiving menu. Here's a simple side that sure to please even the Brussels sprout haters. Between the heat of the chili flakes, the acidity of the lemon, the sweetness of the bacon and Brussels sprouts, and the fresh flavor of the mint, I love the flavor contrasts in this dish.
Sauteed Brussels Sports with Bacon, Lemon, Chili Flakes, and Mint
Serves 2 to 3
- 3 slices of bacon, diced
- 12 oz. Brussels sprouts, cut in half if large
- juice from half a lemon
- 1/4 tsp dried red chili flakes
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 1/4 cup mint leaves, finely chopped
- Heat a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add the bacon and cook, stirring occasionally, until it is crisp. about 3 minutes. Remove the bacon from the pan with a slotted spoon.
- Add the Brussels sprouts to the skillet and season with salt and pepper. Cook the Brussels sprouts, stirring occasionally, until they brown on all sides, 7 to 10 minutes.
- Add the chili flakes to the pan and reduce the heat to medium and continue to cook until the Brussels sprouts soften, another 10 to 15 minutes.
- Reduce the heat to low. Pour in the lemon juice and season the Brussels sprouts with salt and pepper to taste.
- Put the Brussels sprouts in a bowl and top with the reserved bacon and the mint. Serve immediately.