Sunday, January 9, 2011

Shrimp Wrapped in Pancetta and Sage


 For my weekday meals, I tend to fall into a monotonous rotation of sauteed chicken breasts and pork chops served with not very imaginative pan sauces.  It's not that I especially love these meals (although I have been known to throw together a darn good pan sauce), it's just that after a long day of work, the last thing I want to do is to struggle with a new recipe, so I stick to the familiar.  I'm always excited when I do go out on a limb and discover a new recipe like this one for shrimp wrapped in pancetta and sage that is simple enough for weeknights.  Thanks to my Manhattan stomping grounds, I do have the luxury of having a market between my office and my apartment that sells both very fresh shrimp and high-quality pancetta, so assuming you can find those two components of the ingredient list, this recipe is as easy as it gets.  It is also quite tasty with the shrimp and crispy pancetta creating somewhat of a high-end hot pocket, perfect for eating on the couch after a harrowing day. 


Shrimp Wrapped in Pancetta and Sage
Serves 2 to 3

Ingredients:
  • 1 lb shrimp, peeled and deveined, tails left on
  • pepper
  • 1 bunch sage
  • 1/4 lb pancetta, thinly sliced
  • 1 tbsp olive oil
Directions:
  1. Lay the shrimp out on a cutting board.
  2. Season the shrimp with pepper.  There is no need to salt the shrimp as the pancetta is very salty.
  3. Place a sage leaf on top of each shrimp.
  4. Wrap a slice of pancetta around each shrimp.
  5. Heat the olive oil in a large skillet until just before smoking.
  6. Gently place the shrimp in the skillet.  Cook without disturbing for 2 minutes then flip each shrimp using a spatula.  Cook the other side until the shrimp are pink and no longer translucent, another 1 to 2 minutes.  Remove the shrimp from the pan and serve immediately. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails