After stuffing myself with pork belly and Sriracha wings over the past few weeks, it was time to detox with some fish, albeit fish stuffed with a few slices of cured pork. The ham and a healthy dose of lemon juice make this dish taste far more complex than the ten minutes it takes to prepare. I used Spanish lomo, but prosciutto or Serrano ham would work just as well.
Trout with Cured Ham and Lemon
- 2 whole rainbow trout, cleaned and butterfield
- salt and pepper
- juice of 1 lemon
- 4 to 6 thin slices cured ham such as Spanish lomo or prosciutto
- flour, for dusting
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- Season the insides and outsides of the trout with salt, pepper, and lemon juice.
- Place one layer of cured ham inside the fish.
- Dust both sides of the fish with flour.
- Heat the olive oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add the fish to the pan and cook until it is cooked through, about three minutes per side. Serve immediately.