I ran a 5-mile race this morning, so to help me have enough energy to run in today’s stifling heat and humidity, I cooked this simple dish of pasta in a spicy tomato sauce last night. Note that this recipe makes enough sauce for about 4 servings, but it freezes well.
- Penne pasta
- slightly less than a 1/4 cup olive oil
- 4 cloves of garlic, sliced
- 1 teaspoon dried red pepper flakes
- 1 28 oz. can San Marzano tomatoes, drained and crushed
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Parsley, chopped
- Pecorino Romano cheese, grated
- Boil pasta in salted water.
- Meanwhile, heat oil in skillet over medium heat
- Add garlic and pepper flakes to oil. Stir constantly until garlic is golden, about 5 minutes
- Add tomatoes to skillet. Sprinkle with salt and pepper
- Reduce sauce, stirring occasionally, until sauce thickens to desired consistency, about 10 minutes
- Add salt and pepper to taste
- Toss pasta with sauce
- Garnish pasta with parsley and Pecorino Romano.