Tuesday, June 24, 2008

Rogan Josh (Lamb Curry)

I try my best not to let my job interfere with my cooking. Unfortunately, this is sometimes inevitable. After an early morning run, 10+ hours at the office, and a workout at the gym, I rarely have the time, the energy, or the mental capacity to toil over the stove. If it’s not leftovers, I’m usually sticking to quick and simple recipes during the week. In an effort to have leftovers I can eat for dinner over the course of a week, I tend to make a braised dish, a casserole, or roast a chicken on Sundays.

Having picked up a good amount of lamb shoulder from 3 Corner Field Farm at the Greenmarket the other day, I decided I’d try my luck at curry. I had never made an Indian-style curry before, so I searched the internet for one that sounded authentic. I came upon this recipe for Rogan Josh from Madhur Jaffrey. Silly name notwithstanding (I can’t help but think of Seth Rogen standing over a pot of curry, which is probably borderline blasphemous to Indian cuisine), I knew this would be a good Indian dish to start with since Madhur Jaffrey is one of the top Indian cookbook authors, not to mention actresses. I had also received my first shipment of Rancho Gordo heirloom beans, so I decided to serve my lamb curry alongside some curried Christmas limas.

I spent the better part of Sunday afternoon preparing the curry, and soaking and cooking the beans. When I came home from work today, I put on a pot of rice. For the beans, I stir fried a chopped onion for a few minutes, then added minced garlic and fried another minute. Then I added a little over a tablespoon of curry powder, beans, about a cup of the bean cooking liquid, and salt and pepper. I simmered the bean mixture for about 15 minutes. Meanwhile, I reheated the curry, added 1/4 teaspoon of Penzey’s garam masala, pepper to season. Voila! An excellent dinner was ready in under 30 minutes.

Rogan Josh with Curried Christmas Limas and Rice

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails