Although these first few posts on my blog may indicate otherwise, I really do try to eat healthy during the week. On the weekends, I let go a little (and frequently), and cook as unhealthy as I feel like. I’m a runner, and I tend to run upwards of 20 miles on the weekends, so I figure I can eat whatever I please on the weekends to make up for the calories I burn. In line with my eat myself to self to death on the weekends philosophy, I like to treat myself to a desserts on Saturday and Sunday. This weekend, in an effort to make a dent in the outrageous amount of berries (strawberries, blueberries, and cherries) that I purchased at the Greenmarket yesterday, I made two simple desserts:
Balsamic Glazed Strawberries (apologies for the blurry picture)
- Mix equal parts balsamic vinegar and brown sugar in a saucepan. Bring to boil and stir until sugar dissolves. Take off heat and mix in halved strawberries. Serve warm over vanilla ice cream.
Blueberry Crisp for One
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Mix a handful of blueberries with about a teaspoon of vanilla. Add bluberries to ramekin.
- Mix by hand a small handful of rolled oats, a small handful of cornmeal, a dash of nutmeg, a dash a cinnamon, a drizzle of honey, and a teaspoon of butter. Put mixture on top of blueberries.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 35 minutes.
- Top with a scoop of vanilla ice cream.