If you haven't cooked skate before, I urge you to give it a try. It cooks quickly, the meat is flavorful so little more than a simple sauce is required, and it is fairly inexpensive. Inspired by a skate and brussel sprout dish I saw at Momofuku Noodle Bar, I served the fish with brussel sprouts that I roasted with bacon. The fish requires little in the way of a recipe since it is fairly versatile, but here are some general steps:
Skate with Brown Butter Sauce
- 2 skate wings
- kosher salt
- flour, for dusting
- 3 Tb butter
- large splash of dry vermouth or white wine vinegar
- 1 tsp capers
- Dry skate wings with a paper towel.
- Salt fish.
- Heat a large skillet over medium high heat and add half of the butter to skillet.
- Dust skate wings with flour.
- Add fish to skillet. Cook for 5 to 6 minutes total, turning once. Set fish aside.
- Add rest of butter to pan. Once melted, add splash of vermouth and capers.
- Cook butter and vermouth until sauce is reduced and nicely brown. Pour sauce over the skate and serve immediately.