Good sea scallops don't need much more than salt and pepper to make a great meal, but what's the fun in that? Topping jumbo scallops with some spiced up panko and popping them into the oven is nearly as simple and a little more delicious.
Baked Scallops with Panko Crust
- 6 large "dry" sea scallops, muscle removed and patted dry with paper towels
- 1/2 cup panko
- 1 tbsp. chives, minced
- 1 tbsp. parsley, minced
- 1/2 tbsp. thyme leaves, minced
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1/4 tsp. cumin
- 1 tbsp. butter, melted
- 1 tbsp. olive oil
- salt and pepper
- lemon wedges, for serving
- Preheat oven to 400F
- Mix panko with herbs and spices, salt, pepper, olive oil and butter
- Add scallops to oven-proof pan. Top scallops with panko mixture.
- Cook scallops in oven until just cooked, about ten minutes.
- Cook scallops under broiler until panko begins to brown, about a minute.
- Serve with lemon wedges.