Makes 12 rolls
- 2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 packet instant yeast
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/3 cup plus 1/2 cup sugar
- 2 tbsp butter
- 1 egg
- 1/2 cup plus 3 tbsp milk
- 2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 1/2 cups powdered sugar
- In a small bowl, combine 1/2 cup of sugar and the cinnamon. Set aside.
- In the bowl of a food processor, combine flour, yeast, salt, and 1/3 cup of sugar. Pulse a few times to mix.
- Add butter and egg to food processor and process until well blended.
- With the food processor running, gradually pour 1/2 cup of milk. Process until the dough forms a ball.
- Remove dough from processor and place on a floured surface. Knead for a few minutes, until the dough is smooth. If the dough is too sticky, add flour. If it is too dry, add milk.
- Place the dough in a buttered bowl and cover it. Allow it to to rise for an hour, or until the dough has doubled in size.
- Roll out the dough to 1/2 inch thickness.
- Brush the dough generously with melted butter and top it with the cinnamon sugar mixture. Roll the dough into a log, then cut the log into 1 inch pieces. Place the pieces on a greased baking sheet and cover with plastic wrap. Let the unbaked rolls rise for another hour.
- Preheat the oven to 400F.
- Uncover the rolls and brush them with melted butter. Sprinkle the tops with sugar and bake until golden brown, 15 to 20 minutes. Serve warm, topped with cream cheese icing (see below for recipe).
- To make the icing, combine cream cheese and 3 tbsp milk in a small bowl and whisk until well blended. While continuing to whisk, gradually add the powdered sugar, and whisk until the icing is smooth. Serve immediately or refrigerate.