Sunday, October 18, 2009

Sunday Morning in the Studio: Pancakes


No matter how busy I may be, I always try to find time to cook a big breakfast on Sunday morning. A big pot of french press coffee at my side, the Sunday Times in my hands, and a spread of breakfast food on my plate; to me, there is no better way to mark the beginning of the end of the weekend. I usually prefer savory breakfast dishes, but every now and then I enjoy a stack of pancakes doused in warm maple syrup. For those days, I always turn to Mark Bittman's recipe for basic pancakes from How to Cook Everything. There are recipes that will produce a lighter, fluffier pancake (the book even includes one), but for my infrequent pancake cravings, the simplicity of this recipe hits the spot.

Basic Pancakes
Serves 4

Ingredients:
  • 2 cups all-purpose flour
  • 1 tsbp. baking powder
  • 1/2 tsp. salt
  • 1 tbsp. sugar
  • 2 eggs
  • 2 cups milk
  • 2 tsbp. butter
Directions:
  1. In a medium bowl, mix together the flour, baking powder, sugar, and salt.
  2. In a small bowl, beat the eggs. Stir in the milk.
  3. Add the egg mixture to the dry ingredients and stir until just mixed. Do not over mix, as this will result in a tough pancake; leaving a few clumps of flour in the mixture is fine.
  4. Heat a large skillet or griddle over medium heat.
  5. Add the butter to the skillet. Once the butter is melted and has stopped foaming, use a ladle to pour in the pancake mixture. The size of the pancakes is up to you, but smaller pancakes are easier to flip.
  6. Cook the pancakes until golden, about 2 to 4 minutes. If necessary, increase or decrease the heat to produce a nice golden color.
  7. Using a spatula, flip the pancakes, and cook until the other side is golden, approximately 2 more minutes. Serve stacked on a plate with warm maple syrup.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails