Braised Pork Belly
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 2 lbs. pork belly, preferably with skin on
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 carrots, peeled and chopped
- 2 celery stalks, chopped
- 1 leek, white part only, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, peeled and smashed
- 3 cups chicken stock
- Heat of to 350F.
- Pat dry the pork belly with a paper towel and season with salt and pepper.
- Heat oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add pork, skin side down, and cook until well browned, about 15 minutes. Set pork aside.
- Pour off all but 2 tbsp fat and add onion, carrots, celery, leek, and garlic. Stir to coat the vegetables with oil. Cook, stirring occasionally, until the vegetables are soft, about 20 minutes.
- Add pork belly to the pan along with 2 cups of chicken stock. Bring to a simmer, then transfer the skillet to the oven. Cook, uncovered, for 1 hour.
- Add the rest of the stock and cook until pork is tender, approximately 1 hour.
- Remove the skillet from the oven and let the pork cool. Once cooled, remove the skin with your fingers and discard or eat it. Score the fat, then cut the pork into 4 pieces.
- Increase the oven heat to 400F.
- Strain the braising liquid, discarding the solids, and return the liquid to the skillet. Bring the liquid to a simmer and skim off any fat.
- Return the pork, fat-side up, to the skillet. Transfer the skillet to the oven and cook until the fat is browned, about 20 minutes. Serve immediately.