Soy Braised Chicken with Thai Basil
- 2 lbs. chicken thighs and drumsticks
- 3 tbsp. peanut oil
- 8 cloves garlic, smashed with the side of a knife
- 1 1-inch piece of ginger, peeled and minced
- 1/3 cup Shaoxing wine (or dry sherry)
- 1/4 cup soy sauce
- 1 tbsp. double black soy sauce (a thicker, sweeter soy sauce)
- 1 tbsp. sugar
- 1/2 cup Thai basil, chiffonade
- Lightly salt the chicken pieces.
- Heat the oil in a large, deep-sided skillet over medium-high heat.
- Add the chicken pieces to the skillet without crowding and cook until browned on both sides, about 5 minutes per side. If necessary, cook chicken in batches.
- Add garlic and ginger to skillet and cook until fragrant, about 1 minute.
- Add wine, soy sauces, and sugar to skillet. Boil, stirring constantly, for 5 minutes.
- Reduce heat to low and simmer until chicken is cooked through, about 5 minutes more. Remove from heat.
- Stir in Thai basil and serve.