Monday, April 19, 2010

Momofuku's Pickled Ramps


Ramps lend themselves to a variety of different uses.  They carry on unique flavors when grilled, sauteed, blanched, or pureed.  But my favorite thing to do with ramps is to pickle them. Pickled ramps, equally acidic, sweet, and spicy, work well on just about anything.  I tried them as a topping for lamb burgers, but have plenty more left to try alongside cured meats, steaks, and fish.  My recipe for pickled ramps comes from the Momofuku cookbook, and simply put, it's awesome.  I don't know how to describe it better, but the rice wine vinegar is the perfect amount of acidity for the ramps.  It's mid-April, and it's already shaping up to be a great spring. 

Pickled Ramps
Adapted from Momofuku

Ingredients:
  • 2 lbs small ramps, roots removed and washed
  • 6 tbsp sugar
  • 2 1/4 tsp Kosher salt
  • 1/2 cup rice wine vinegar
  • 1 cup water


Directions:
  1. Pack the ramps into a quart-size container. 
  2. Combine the sugar, salt, vinegar and water in a small sauce pan.  Bring to a boil and pour over the ramps.  Press the ramps down with a spoon to ensure that they are covered by the brine.  Bring the mixture to room temperature, then cover the container and chill the ramps in the refrigerator.  The ramps can be used immediately, but will taste better after a week.  The greens should be eaten within a month, while the bulbs will last for a few months. 

2 comments:

  1. Hi Eddie

    I purchased a whole lamb at Easter, my freezer is full with about 30 lbs. I have never been a big lamb eater but my children absolutely love it. The thought never even crossed my mind to make burgers with it. Great idea, I will put my meat grinder to use. I have never heard of ramps, not even sure if we can get it here in Canada but now I will have to hunt for it, would like to try it.

    Grace

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Grace,

    If you are in the eastern part of Canada, I think they have ramps. They are wild , so it's more likely you'd find them in a Farmer's Market than in a grocery store. Let me know how the burgers turn out; I'm not a huge burger fan, but I love lamb burgers.

    Eddie

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails