Tuesday, June 2, 2009

The Joys of Cooking

Normally, I would not write about a recipe I have previously posted on this blog, but sometimes the tried and true is what makes me most appreciative of a home cooked meal. After slaving over complicated recipes, hand washing a countless number of dishes, and spending an inordinate amount of time purchasing food, it can be easy to forget that cooking does not have to be complicated. On the contrary, making a home cooked can be the easiest way to get food to the table, as demonstrated by my recent dinner of rotini with ramps, breadcrumbs, and pecorino cheese. I made this meal after returning home from a recent trip to Florida.

Coming home to a nearly empty refrigerator and being tired from my early morning flight and a long day of work, cooking was the last thing on my mind at the time. However, not wanting to order an unsatisfying delivery meal, I decided that making the always dependable pasta with ramps and breadcrumbs would be the quickest way to get food in my stomach and begin relaxing after my grueling day. So I set a pot of water on the stove, and I began unpacking my suitcase while I let the water come to a boil. By the time I had finished unpacking, the water was boiling, so I added the pasta. With the pasta cooking, I sauteed the breadcrumbs and ramps. Ten minutes later, I was eating my pasta and thinking about how damn wonderful cooking can be.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails