Friday, June 12, 2009

The Greenmarket Challenge: Day 5

Rather than supplementing my Greenmarket purchases with purchases from the supermarket as I usually do, I bough all of my purchases from the Greenmarket this week. I set myself a budget of $110, which is only slightly more than what I normally spend for two weeks of groceries. Keep in mind that this budget will cover my breakfasts, lunches, and dinner for the next 12 days; that's $11 a day, a fair budget considering my average lunch in midtown Manhattan is $8. I have allowed myself some leg room to use ingredients such as grains, sauces, and garlic that I already had on hand, but other than that necessary allowance, my entire diet for the week will consist of local foods. Follow along with me as I document local my meals over the next twelve days of my Greenmarket Challenge.

Day 5

Breakfast: Poached Knoll Crest eggs over whole wheat toast

Lunch: Rotini salad with sugar snap peas and spring garlic pesto (recipe below)

Dinner: Leftover Grazin' Angus Acres roast chicken with roasted asparagus


Spring Garlic Pesto
Adapted from United Taste with Richard Ruben

Ingredients:
  • 4 scallions
  • 3 spring garlic
  • 2 tbsp walnuts, toasted
  • 1 tsp salt
  • Ground black pepper, to taste
  • 3/4 cup oil

Directions:
  1. Coarsely chop scallions and garlic and place into bowl of food processor.
  2. Add walnuts, salt, and pepper and begin to process. Drizzle in oil and process until smooth. If necessary, add more oil to reach desired consistency. Taste for salt and pepper and serve.


No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails